The woods program offers hands-on, project-based instruction in wood technology using hand tools, power tools and industry standard machinery, including CNC (Computer Numerical Control) equipment. While you learn skills that you can use for a lifetime, including those that may earn you a job in the construction or wood products manufacturing industry.
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic woodworking procedures, safely and accurately utilizing a variety of hand and power tools, acquired in the Introduction to Woodworking course.
- Apply intermediate woodworking techniques learned in the Creative Furniture - Technology class, emphasizing safety, machine set-up, manufacturing, planning, and design skills, specifically related to custom and industrial furniture construction.
- Acquire intermediate skills in cabinet making and design through a combination of classroom instruction, textbook work, demonstrations, and hands-on practice. Construct either an upper or lower cabinet as a practical application of learned skills.
- Explore advanced machine tool operations with a focus on milling and lathe operations in the Computer-Aided Manufacturing course. Emphasize the use of computer-aided milling and lathe software, with demonstrations in the foundry to illustrate mass production methods for machining projects.
- Develop advanced technical and procedural skills in woodworking through the Advanced Woodworking course, catering to students with a serious interest in the field. Provide the equipment, facility, and necessary resources to produce high-quality furniture, cabinets, or decorative woodworking projects, with the possibility of students contributing to the cost of larger-scale projects.
Possibilities After Graduation
Classes in the pathway include: Introduction to Woodworking, Cabinetmaking and Design, Creative Furniture Technology, Advanced Woodworking, Construction, and Leadership Projects.
Career possibilities include: Carpenter, Residential/Commercial Construction Worker, Project Manager.
Annual Salary Range: $22,500 - $95,000+