Do you want to help people while making a good salary at a high demand job? A career in healthcare can provide meaningful work and supports some of the highest salaries. The Health Sciences Program at Thurston High School is dedicated to developing skilled and passionate healthcare professionals that will be leaders in the industry. Designed to equip high school students with a comprehensive understanding of healthcare careers, this program offers a unique opportunity to explore pathways before committing to any college endeavors. This program gives students opportunities to become proficient in medical terminology, apply anatomy and physiology, learn front office administration, and perform clinical skills. Students learn techniques for effective management of patient care and how to provide a safe environment that promotes healing. Students who successfully complete this course receive an option to test to become a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA).
- Explain the healthcare worker’s roles and responsibilities, legal and ethical limitations and implications and identify existing and potential hazards in the workplace. Evaluate moral and legal issues in healthcare and biotechnology research.
- Demonstrate sterile technique, lab bench skills, microscoping, learn how to use new tools and equipment and practices to maintain a healthy and clean facility.
- Effectively communicate with patients and fellow healthcare team members, using confidentiality guidelines and communication strategies to accurately educate the patient about procedures and goals.
- Assess, monitor, and evaluate patient needs and health status in order to document progress.
- Perform procedures using proper body mechanics and routines to guard both the patient’s and healthcare worker’s safety.
Possibilities After Graduation
Classes in the pathway include: Intro to Health Occupations, Intro to Anatomy & Physiology, CN Anatomy and & Physiology 1 & 2, CN Intro to Medical Assisting, CN Medical Terminology, Certified Medical Assistant Course, Certified Nursing Assistant Course (CNA course currently offered at Springfield High School).
Career possibilities include: Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, Nurse (R.N.), Physician (M.D.), Dental Hygienist, Dentist, Veterinarian (D.V.M.), Anesthesiologist, Physical Therapist, Athletic Trainer, Emergency Medical Technician (E.M.T.), Paramedic, Radiologist, Pharmacist.
Annual Salary Range: $20,000 - $400,000